Friday, February 24, 2012

Eating My Words

Renee's Birthday by currtdawg
Renee's Birthday, a photo by currtdawg on Flickr.

Yesterday was Renee's birthday, so a big group of us went to dinner at Le Contrade, a French restaurant in Sacile. I'd never been there before, but I always enjoy trying new places.
We all sat around the table, drinking wine and talking. As I browsed the menu, I realised there was nothing vegetarian available. Now, I've been a vegetarian for nearly nine years, but I'm not militant about it.
So what did I do in this situation? I ordered some pasta with clams. Normally, I don't eat seafood, but my reasoning is that it was the least carnivorous item on the menu.
Food is about more than just sustenance. Breaking bread is a special event that draws people together and creates or strengthens bonds of friendship. Renee has had a rough time the past few months, and this was her night. I'm not gonna be the weirdo that sits there and stares at everyone while they eat. I'm going to join in.
I think holding onto one's convictions is important, but I also understand we all have to make compromises for the greater good. And last night, the greater good was enjoying the time together with my friends.

No comments: