Sunday, June 08, 2008

Which way did he go?

I was at Cody's house Friday night for movies, and didn't leave until 2 AM. I've only been to Cody's a couple times, and when I left, I decided to see if the GPS knew a better way to get home than I knew.
Everything started off fine, but soon, things started to look very unfamiliar. Still, I had faith that the GPS wouldn't steer me wrong. I should have known something was wrong when the paved road turned into a gravel road. A half mile later, I was on a muddy trail in the middle of a cornfield. What surprised me was that this little dirt path, barely wide enough for my truck, was a valid road on the GPS.
My biggest worry was that, after all the rain we've had lately, I'd get hung up in the mud. My second biggest fear was that a farmer was going to come out with a shotgun if I didn't get out of his cornfield.
I followed ever so faithfully, but vowed that if I got back onto a real road, the GPS was getting turned off. Thankfully, the dirt road upgraded to gravel. (Isn't it sad when you're grateful to be back on a gravel road?) By the time I got back on pavement, I was in the middle of some kind of industrial area. I used the lights on the mountain to get my bearings, and tried to follow major roads until I got back to an area I with which I was familiar. I left the GPS on, but heard the word "recalculating" more than I care to ever again. I'll still use it for big trips, but when driving in the local area, I think I'll stick to my instincts.

No comments: