Friday, May 30, 2008

Like Yosemite Sam When Steam Comes Out His Ears

Work here is particularly stressful. Our shop is already undermanned, and on top of that, we had one person separate from the Air Force and two more go on leave this month. I'm about the only one left to take care of regular jobs, and as many as I finish, the list still seems to get longer every morning.
On top of all the jobs, there's other military-related stuff we all have to do. Training, mobility folder updates, miscellaneous paperwork. It's difficult to know how to prioritise all of it, because everyone I talk to tells me something different.
This morning, I was finishing up some online training that was nearly overdue when my boss came in and asked me to take care of a job that was called in directly by the commander. I told him I'd take care of it. He came back in my office two minutes later and said, "Now." He wasn't trying to be a richard; he's just trying to keep us out of the spotlight.
Still, it took everything I had not to stand up and say, "Listen, man, it's not like I'm just fucking off here. When I said I'd take care of it, I meant I'd take care of it. You've never had any reason to doubt me before, and I'm not going to let you down. Just give me five minutes to take care of this stupid-ass training, and then I'll go take care of the job. Is that okay?"
Sometimes I wish my brain-to-mouth filter didn't work so well.

No comments: